Puissance (sage study)
Puissance is a sage study in the field of Mastery at Arms. The title based on the magical item, the Manual of Puissant Skill at Arms, the study describes a collection of enhanced weapon skills and combat proficiencies that enable the individual to act as a stronger individual combatant. Many of these adjustments are minor and limited to specific weapons and specific circumstances, but on the whole the training the study gives to a combatant will increase prowess at arms.
The sage abilities below are those acquired by a character through the study, according to status.
- Close Drop: reduces the likelihood that combatants will drop a weapon outside of the hex in which they are fighting.
- Gain Proficiency: character begins with one more proficiency than is otherwise normal.
- Hereditary Weapon I: character receives a +1 bonus to-hit when using the most familiar weapon of their place of birth.
- Shield as a Weapon: enables the character to use the shield as a weapon, causing 1d4 damage per hit.
- Strengthened Arm: the character is able to hurl weapons a greater distance than normal.
- Draw Speed: decreases the penalty incurred by firing a bow more quickly, while improving the time in which a crossbow can be loaded. Also decreases the time to draw a weapon from a combatant's belt by 1 action point.
- Feint: the art of causing an enemy to move towards a hex where the combatant does not wish to be.
- Hereditary Weapon II: character receives a +1 bonus to-hit and a +1 bonus to damage when using the most familiar weapon of their place of birth.
- Main-gauche: the use of a dagger, rather than a shield, in parrying attacks.
- Precise Hit: enables the character to break an enemy's weapon or shield as desired.
- Reduced Proficiency Penalty: the combatant's proficiency penalty is lessened by 1 point.
- Berserking: enables the combatant to berserk if reduced to 1 hit point or less.
- Improved Dual-wielding: reduces the penalties in fighting with two weapons of various types.
- Off-handed Cast: enables the combatant to throw a hurled weapon equally well with either hand.
- Full Berserk: the character is able to berserk at will for a brief period.